Mortal Kombat (2021) Film Review

 


  GET OVER HERE!!!

  Mortal Kombat is finally getting the film treatment it deserves. I don't play MK games I own and rarely play MK 11, but that doesn't mean I wasn't interested in this movie, I love playing video games and to finally see this franchise get it's well deserved movie treatment is fantastic. 

  So if you don't know this game had movies yet sadly they came out as a major disappointment in giving such a game a movie treatment, So just seeing this game and those loved character's come to life again with the new technology the film industry has today it's amazing seeing those loved characters on the big screen with a proper treatment.

  People with skills in combat and abilities come together for an ultimate fighting tournament, an ancient martial arts fight referenced throughout history by different cultures all over the world known as Mortal Kombat. It is up to these people to become fighters and fight in realms of reality and other worlds. 

  I watched the seven minute beginning of the film posted on Youtube and available to stream on HBO max, The beginning shows us the story behind scorpion and how his clan and family were murdered by Sub-Zero.

  On Friday April 23,2021 at 12:04 AM I had to be pulled by Scorpion to watch the full film on HBO max, And it was the greatest film treatment. 

  What I think is interesting about this film's story is how these fighter's are chosen for the tournament as they all have a mark of a dragon given to fighters that kill other chosen fighters, with the exeption of Cole who was born with it due to his his lineage relation to the Hasashi family AKA Scorpions bloodline and Sonya blade who isn't chosen.

  I have to say this movie was executed really well, yet it has two small flaws in my opinion. these flaws don't ruin this film as it also makes the film and it's story unique.

  In this film you'd expect it to pick up the arenas that come as iconic and are made through the entire games franchise, The arenas are in this film yet they don't give that same point of view as the games.


  like I said this is a small flaw in my opinion yet it makes the story and film a unique way of giving us those fights.

  The other flaw in my opinion is Raiden's treatment in costume and body build as it's not accurate to the games Raiden. Yet I have to say Tadanobu Asano did the greatest Raiden on the big screen, obviously there can't be someone to look pinpoint like Raiden in the games yet I expected more of a better costume treatment.



  What I really loved as story details go is the abilities/powers the fighters can do to fight as the way the fighters have to get those abilities is finding something called akana, a chi like state.

  I really loved how they gave the best treatment for Scorpion giving him a samurai like armor and ninja look, Hiroyuki Sanada did an incredible job bringing my favorite character to life.

  I am very impressed that this is director Simon McQuoid's first film and will probably live with an incredible name for creating a master piece. 

  Mortal Kombat was I think especially well executed cause of it's cast executing their characters traits and characteristics, along with the CGI work and camera work.  

  You can stream Mortal Kombat on HBO max until May 26 and watch it in theaters.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Batman (2022)

TENET (2020) Review

Secrets of Dumbledore? Fantastic Beasts 3 trailer officially released!!!