The Grey Man (2022)

   The Grey Man (2022)


  'The Grey Man" is Based on Mark Greaney's 2009 novel. Court Gentry is hired by former CIA director Donald Fitzroy in prison, Court now "Sierra Six" and ready to "kill bad guys" is sent on a mission in Bangkok to assassinate a high intel target that goes wrong where he's told by his target that he's "Sierra Four" and is given a drive that reveals current director Denny Carmichael isn't a good guy and after learning encrypted proof six is hunted by sociopathic  mercenary Lloyd Hansen a former agent in the CIA hired by Denny.

  Ryan Gosling really surprised me as I wasn't really a fan of him, He really did well playing this role I felt I was watching a 007 and even though "007 was taken" gosling gave quite a performance! Gosling was really good playing in many awarded films such as LA LA Land (2016) and The Notebook (2004). 

  Ryan Gosling playing as the romantic guy and tough bank robber guy makes him very new to a character such as six, I feel like he does well playing such a character but I think he lacks his character in characteristics. I feel like there's something to this character he should've put more work into!

  Court/Six is this man with a troubled childhood dealing with abuse by his father who later in his teens killed his dad, convicted as a minor and sent to prison court 8 years later is hired by Fitzroy in 2003 to a task force called "sierra". By 2017 Fitzroy gives six a mission to protect his niece who has a pacemaker placed in her heart it's up to six to "babysit", two years later six is sent on a mission in Hong Kong to assassinate but mission goes wrong.

  Putting in research I learned this movie just became another The last Airbender movie as it fails to give the accurate background to Court and lacks accuracy to the book in a whole.

  In the book Court was trained in his father's Swat school by tactical officers, he wasn't abused and never killed his father! Reason he served prison time was cause Court at age eighteen killed three Cuban drug dealers.

  What's so hard that the background from the book couldn't be told accurately in the movie? 

  To be honest it feels not a lot made sense on this character for me when it came to his background now I know why.

  For me it's hard to tell what's character or actor when it comes to characteristics of characters and what's the directors wants! as our protagonist lacks so much and I don't know if that's the character, the way the actor plays his character or how the director wants his character like.

  Chris Evans made quite a d*mn good villain in this film, funny enough his performance gave me nostalgia making his character much like his take on The Human Torch in Fantastic Four (2005)! His character was funny, cocky and sociopathic. But tho I never read the book Evans would be my pick on such a character as he is such a great actor with a high reputation in film.

  Realistically though his character gives me the same difficulty of defining direction of this character, cause he's too much like a villain from a comic than a realistic threatening mercenary of a villain. 

  The Russo Brothers didn't surprise me with this film as they obviously did great production to this movie, it's not a surprise as they directed the second and third Captain America films and third and fourth avengers these guys are legends in film productions when it came two these four successful films so what they did with this film was incredible.

  The Brothers plan on giving this film a new spy like franchise, I honestly hope Netflix says No but if it turns out as yes they cancel before anything starts production.

  The only thing I didn't like about this film was the overdone action leaving the hero barely wounded, the total nonsense of public gunfights and poor scripting! I might be wrong but in my opinion I felt there wasn't enough character development.

  After watching this film I feel like it was watching Taken and John wick just not as good as those movies are.

  I'll end this with noting that you shouldn't be like me and watch a movie based on a book without reading the book first.

  ⭐⭐⭐
  7/10 
  46% rotten tomatoes 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Batman (2022)

TENET (2020) Review

Secrets of Dumbledore? Fantastic Beasts 3 trailer officially released!!!